PowerToys, an app in beta from Microsoft has a collection of tools including a PowerRename tool that makes it easy to rename multiple files at once if you’re using Windows 10.
Here’s how to get it.
How to get PowerToys
PowerToys is currently in beta and distributed in GitHub.
In order to get PowerToys, you just need to go to the app’s releases page and download the latest version.
- Go to the Releases page on GitHub for PowerToys.
- Click the most recent release within assets to download PowerToys. For example, “PowerToysSetup-0.16.1-x64.msi”.
- Click on the downloaded file.
- Click Next twice (read through the license before clicking next the second time).
- Tick the boxes to indicate if you want PowerToys to start at launch and if you want to create a shortcut for PowerToys.
- Click Install.
- Click Yes to verify the download.
- Click Finish. At this point, you can also have a box ticked to launch PowerToys.
Renaming files with PowerToys
Once PowerToys is running, you can use it within the File Explorer.
- Open File Explorer.
- Select the files you want to rename.
- Right-click over your selection.
- Select Power Rename.
- Enter items that you want to replace, such as text, a dash, or a space.
- Enter what you’d like to replace those items with, such as punction or text.
- Click Rename.
Are you using PowerToys?