a new blog post on the Windows 8 development blog. This one talks about optimizing multimedia in Windows 8. Their goals as stated:
- Maximize performance. We wanted media playback to be fast and responsive, enabling the full power of the hardware while maximizing battery life on each PC.
- Simplify development and extensibility. We wanted to provide a platform that could be easily extended and tailored for a given application, setting the stage for innovative custom media apps on Windows.
- Enable a breadth of scenarios. A high performance, high efficiency, extensible platform can then enable a wide range of music, video, communications, and other multimedia apps.
- Support for Video
- Support for Metro
- Auto picture orientation
- Premium content support
- Adaptive bitrate streaming
- Content Protection and more