Toshiba Quits The Laptop Business

August 13, 2020
Toshiba Logo

End of an era! Toshiba has officially exited the laptop business, after a good run of 35 years. The Japanese company announced that it will stop making laptops last week.

The firm had already sold 80% of its PC business shares to Sharp two years ago, with Sharp renaming this side of the business to Dynabook. Toshiba has now announced that Sharp has exercised the right the buy the remaining 20% of its business.

This is what it said in a statement:

“Toshiba Corporation hereby announces that it has transferred the 19.9% of the outstanding shares in Dynabook Inc. that it held to Sharp Corporation. As a result of this transfer, Dynabook has become a wholly owned subsidiary of Sharp.”

Deep sigh.

Toshiba has been the name behind some of the most iconic models over the decades.

Toshiba T1100

The company made its first laptop back in 1985. The Toshiba T1100 had 256K memory, a 3.5-inch floppy drive, and interchangeable batteries. But executives were unsure of it, and were hesitant about selling it at first. They eventually came around and sold it for $2,000.

And the rest was history.

The Japanese firm became one of the top PC manufacturers during the 90s and early 2000s. It also partnered up with Microsoft on Windows 8, launching several unique models of notebooks, tablets, and hybrids in the years that followed.

However, as more players emerged on the market, Toshiba saw its popularity suffer. By the time it sold its business to Sharp, its total shipments had declined from a peak of 17.7 million to only 2014 in 2017.

It was time.

Article Tags:
· · · · · · ·
Article Categories:
Featured · Hardware · Strategy

Fahad Ali is a professional freelancer, specializing in technology, web design and development and enterprise applications. He is the primary contributor to this website. When he is not typing away on his keyboard, he is relaxing to some soft jazz.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *