How to Launch It
Control Panel Way
- Open “Administrative Tools” applet from the traditional Control Panel.
- Launch “Defragment and Optimize Drives” from the list of administrative tools.
- Invoke Run window or Search Charm. Select the Settings tab in case of Search Charm.
- Type in the command “dfrgui”, and hit Enter.
This tool has a very simple interface. It lists all the drives available for defragmentation.
Below the list, there are two buttons.
- “Analyze” button checks if the fragmentation status of the selected drive. After the completion of the analysis, you can see the amount of fragmentation (in percentage) that the drive has incurred. The status also says if the drive requires optimization or not.
The above image shows that my System (C:) drive is fragmented by 8%. It is not too much, however. So the tool doesn’t recommend me to optimize the drive, and shows the status as “OK”.
- “Optimize” button will start defragmentation process of the selected drive.
Besides that, the main window has a “Settings” button through which you can launch the settings window.
The settings are related to the scheduling of automatic drive optimization. You can enable or disable the automatic schedule.
You can specify the frequency of the automatic optimization – daily, weekly or monthly.
Also, you can select drives that should be optimized automatically according to the schedule.]]>