How to Launch It
- Open the traditional Control Panel through the Start Screen or using the Run Windows command “control”.
- Select “Category” view for Control Panel.
- Select “Network and Sharing Center” category. This opens a new page containing the subcategories.
- Select “HomeGroup”. This will launch the applet on the same control panel page.
Create a HomeGroupClick on “Create a HomeGroup” button to launch the setup wizard. Click “Next” button.
Select Stuff to Share in HomeGroupThe next screen of the wizard lists the libraries and devices that you can share with the HomeGroup. You may want to leave out the libraries that may contain sensitive data. Alternatively, you can simply exclude the files and folders that you don’t want to share, from the library itself. Now, you can share the library. After the selection is complete, click “Next”.
PasswordThe wizard completes the sharing of the selected libraries and devices. Then, it automatically creates a password for you. Any person wanting to join your HomeGroup will require that password. Also, if you want to access another machine’s devices like printer or scanner, then you need to add the computer by providing the password to its operator.
HomeGroup SettingsThe wizard exits and you return back to the main page of the applet. Now, it shows the settings of the HomeGroup that you just created. It lists the following information and options.
- List of the libraries and devices that are currently shared with the HomeGroup. There is a link “Change what you’re sharing with the homegroup” in order to change the content being shared.
- You can view, print or change the HomeGroup password. In order to change the password, all the HomeGroup computers should be on (not even in sleep or hibernation). After creating the new password, you need to enter it immediately in all other HomeGroup computers.
- The applet also provides you the option to leave the HomeGroup.