How to Launch It
- Open the traditional Control Panel through the Start Screen or using the Run Windows command “control”.
- Select “Category” view for Control Panel.
- Select “System and Security” category. This opens a new page containing the subcategories.
- Select “Windows Firewall”. This will launch the applet on the same control panel page.
Main PageWhenever you connect to a new network, Windows asks you what type of network you want to designate it as – Public or Private. Whatever you choose, Firewall will put restrictions on the communication with the network accordingly – more restrictions for a private network, and less for a public network. The main page of the applet shows the current statuses of the private and public network connections, as well as the regulations that it has put on those networks. The information is divided into two sections – one for private networks and another for public networks. The main page tells you if you are currently to one or more private or public networks. Also, it specifies what settings the firewall has for these networks.
- Firewall state for the network – on or off
- How the incoming connections are regulated
- The networks to which your machine is currently connected.
- Notifications setting – whether Firewall should inform you if it blocks a new app from accessing the network(s).