<![CDATA[Microsoft have started the rollout of the new version of SkyDrive. The new version is being built to take advantage of HTML 5. Some of the performance investments were made in the following areas:
- Improved many core tasks and scenarios. For example, clicking folders and navigating photo albums will go from 6-9 seconds down to 100-300 milliseconds, and they took advantage of hardware accelerated graphics to make it fast to click through photo slideshows.
- HTML5 focus so that they could include advancements like HTML5 Video, CSS3, and client rendered experiences, as well as making sure the slide show experience was great in all browsers without any special software.
- They cleaned up anything that would slow down the experience in a browser.
- With Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7, you can pin SkyDrive to your taskbar for faster access to your files. You can create Word, Excel, or PowerPoint docs stored in the cloud in just one click.
- Caching and hardware acceleration – Common tasks and scenarios, like clicking on folders and navigating photo albums will go from 6-9 seconds down to 100-300 milliseconds.
- Microsoft has taken advantage of hardware accelerated graphics to make it fast to skip through slideshows.
- All your content in one place including SkyDrive groups – Microsoft has combined all your photos, docs, files shared with you and files in SkyDrive groups into one view.
- Quick views – Microsoft incorporated navigational elements and a layout that is consistent with Hotmail (Quick Views for recent docs & files shared with you).
- Information pane – Ads have been removed to create room for a pane of information about your files – so you can take actions such as opening a doc in Word or Excel on the desktop directly from SkyDrive.
Wow, skydrive is so much faster!