We are getting there! Microsoft today unveiled the Your Phone Apps feature that is designed to be a seamless way to access Android apps that are installed on your smartphone on Windows 10.
This functionality is now available in preview.
To gain access, you must be using an Android phone that is compatible with Phone Screen and the Samsung Link to Windows feature. What this means is that the option is not exclusive to the newly announced Galaxy Note 20 series phones.
You must have a PC running Windows 10 October 2018 Update or later, though. But as always, the latest versions of Windows 10 and the Your Phone app and Link to Windows are recommended.
If your device clears all these checkboxes, then you should be good to go.
And doing so, will gain you access to these features:
- See a list of your installed Android apps directly within the Your Phone app.
- Add your frequently used apps to the favorites section or search among your apps for even quicker access.
- Launch any mobile app directly from your PC.
- Apps and your mirrored phone screen launch in a separate window on your PC.
- Pin your mobile apps to Windows Task bar or Start menu.
- Stay in the know by keeping an eye on the app notification badging (unread notifications) in the All apps list or your Favorites.
Merits a mention that this is all still in a beta.
That is to say, there are a bunch of known issues with this experience. Some apps and games may block the ability to cast to other screens, in which case you will see a black screen instead. Others might not respond to interactions from your PC or mouse or keyboard.
Likewise, the ability to run multiple Android apps simultaneously on Windows is also currently not available, and will be introduced later this year.
But overall, an excellent addition to the ecosystem.
Your Phone keeps on growing.
CLICK HERE FOR LIFETIME ACCESS to over 100 Windows 10 Training Videos and three industry leading ebooks on Microsoft Azure, Artificial Intelligence and Enterprise Robotics! LIMITED TIME AVAILABILITY!