Following a recent update, some users have discovered the Windows Update section has disappeared from the Update and Security tab.
One of the primary reasons for the disappearance is a conflict with the Update settings following the recent upgrade.
The easiest way to solve this is to head into Group Policy settings and unblock the Settings Page visibility option. How do you do that?
- Press on the Windows key and R on your keyboard and the Run box opens
- Type in gpedit.msc , hit the Enter key and the Local Group Policy Editor opens
- Now go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates and then click on Control Panel
- Go to the right-pane and double-click the option for Settings Page Visibility – now you can edit the properties
- Click Properties and then click the Disabled button – even if it says it isn’t configured, still click that button
- Click on Apply and then OK.
When you set it to Disabled, you are telling it you want the Settings page visible.
There’s one more step.
- In the Local Group Policy Editor, go to User Configuration
- Then go to Administrative Templates and click on Control Panel
- Go to the right pane again and double-click the option for Show Only Specified Control Panel Items
- Click Properties and click the Disabled button
- Again, even it isn’t configured, you need to click the button
Now you can come out of Local Group Policy Editor and reboot your computer
You should see Check for Updates back where it belongs.
Did your updates button disappear after updating?